Mental Wellness Resources
Mental wellness is very important. Below are some resources, assembled by our Student Services Department and our Health & Physical Education Department, to help students and families get the mental wellness help they might need.
- School Psychology Services - Positively impacting the academic and social-emotional development of all students through the provision of mental health services that build resiliency, life competencies, and good citizenship.
Social Work and Support Services - FCPS social workers help to prevent social, emotional, and behavioral factors from affecting a student's ability to perform at his or her best.
Crisis Link Suicide Hotline
- 703-527-4077 or 1-800-Suicide
- Mental Health 24-Hour Emergency Services
Actions to take if you or someone you care about is in crisis
Text NEEDHELP to 85511 for the Crisis Link Hotline at or call them at 703-527-4077
Chat online with a specialist at CrisisChat.org or ImAlive.org
Public Mental Health Service Sites
- Mental Health Entry and Referral Services
- 703 383-8500
- Chantilly-Centerville Office
- 14150 Parkeast Circle, Suite 200 Chantilly, Virginia 20151
- Mount Vernon Center for Community Mental Health
- 8119 Holland Road Alexandria, Virginia 22306
- Northwest Center for Community Mental Health
- 1850 Cameron Glen Drive, Suite 600 Reston, Virginia 20190
- Route One Office (IMP Building)
- 8850 Richmond Highway Alexandria, Virginia 22309
- South County Office
- 8350 Richmond Highway, Suite 415 Alexandria, Virginia 22309
- Springfield Office
- 8348 Traford Lane, Suite 400, Springfield, VA 22152
- Dominion Hospital
- 2960 Sleepy Hollow Road, Falls Church, VA 22044
- INOVA Kellar Center
- 11204 Waples Mill Rd, Fairfax, VA 22030
- Fairfax-Falls Church Community Service Board
- Prince William Hospital (Manassas)
- Children’s National Medical Center
- Inova Alexandria Hospital
- 4320 Seminary Road Alexandria, VA 22304
- Inova Fairfax Hospital
- 3300 Gallows Rd, Falls Church, VA 22042
- Inova Fair Oaks Hospital
- 3600 Joseph Siewick Drive Fairfax, VA 22033
- Inova Mount Vernon Hospital
- 2501 Parker’s Lane Alexandria, VA 22306
How Parents Can Help
Take signals from teens seriously, trust your instincts and follow the FIVE STEPS*:
- Establish a connection
- In a caring non-confrontational way, ask the question, “Are you thinking about suicide?”
- If “yes”, ask the teen whether s/he has a plan. If so, remove the planned method and any other potentially lethal weapons or medications
- Offer some comforting comments (e.g., “You did the right thing to tell me”, “I will get you the help you need”).
- Do not leave him or her alone until you get them help (e.g., take them to the ER for an evaluation)
* FIVE STEPS adapted from the RESPONSE program, ColumbiaCare Services, Inc.
If you hear about a student communicating thoughts of self-harm, the following is a list of school personnel who may be contacted for follow-up during the school day. In an after-hours emergency, call 911
- Parent Support Group offered by Fairfax County Court System (provides support with a range of issues)
- The meetings are held every Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.
- Contact: Paula King
- 4110 Chain Bridge Rd, Fairfax, VA
- The SPANISH Parent Support Group
- Wednesday nights from 7-9 p.m.
- Herndon Neighborhood Resource Center
- 1086 Elden St. Herndon, VA 20170