Boys Basketball Wins District Title
Centreville Defeats Oakton 79-55 for Second Title in Three Years
Lead by Concorde District Tournament MVP Senior Bryce Douglas, the Boys Basketball Team outscored the Oakton Cougars 50-29 in the second half to win its second Concorde District Championship in three years with a 79-55 victory. The game was played on February 15 at Chantilly High School.
Trailing 26-24 with under a minute to go in the first half, the Wildcats scored five straight points including a 3-pointer by senior Tayshawn Hogan as time experienced. It was a lead Centreville would not relinquish. Centreville was led by Bryce Douglas's 22 points, junior Lance Douglas's 17 points, and sophomore Chris Kuzemka's 15 points. Concorde District Defensive Player of the Year Lance Douglas held Oakton's Garrett Johnson (the Concorde District Player of the Year) to single digits for just the second time this season. Centreville outscored Oakton 30-13 in the fourth quarter. The victory marked the third time this season that Wildcats defeated the Cougars.
It was Centreville's second district title in three years. The 2016 title was the program's first since 2001. With the win, the Wildcats (18-5 on the season) advance to the quarter-finals of the Region tournament, a home game that will be held on February 21st at 7:00 p.m. against Osbourn.
Congratulations to the following Wildcats on individual achievements this season.
- Kevin Harris, Concorde District Coach of the Year
- Lance Douglas, Concorde District Defensive Player of the Year
- Bryce Douglas, First Team All-District (19.4 points per game, 4.3 rebounds per game, 3.6 assists per game, 47 3-pointers, 83.3% free throws)
- Chris Kuzemka, First Team All-District (15. 1 points per game, 3.7 rebounds per game, 3.3 assists per game, 45 3-pointers)
- Lance Douglas, Second Team All-District
- Junior Connor Shanton, Second Team All-District