2019 Virginia Summer Governor’s School-- INTEREST FORM due NOVEMBER 2nd
Governor's School is a challenging and enriching Virginia program designed for highly motivated students who are looking for a challenging summer experience. Programs are offered in Visual and Performing Arts, Humanities, Math/Science/Tech, Agriculture, Life Science/Medicine, and Mentorships in Engineering and Life Sciences. The selection process is extremely competitive. Most students selected rank in the top 10% of their class and have scored in the 90th percentile on standardized measures of ability or achievement tests. These residential programs run from late June to late July. Only students who are available during that time frame and whose records match these criteria should apply.
Please complete the steps below in order using the links provided.
1. Complete the Governor's School Google Interest Form to declare your interest for the 2019 Summer Residential Governor’s School by November 2nd. (no late submissions will be accepted)
You must fill all sections and complete for the following reasons:
- The form establishes your contact details for your High School governor’s school representative: for Academics it is Jean No, Jno@fcps.edu, and for Visual and Performing Arts it is Nancy Schneider, email@example.com.
- This will provide district level communication to both you and your designated school contact to allow for an efficient application process.
2. The selection process for the Governor’s School begins at the school level. Students will be notified in November if they have been selected to move forward with the application process. Only those students must then complete the appropriate application, from the list below.
Link to the applications (Selected students only):
- 2019 Application for Agriculture (Word)
- 2019 Application for Engineering (Word)
- 2019 Application for Humanities (Word)
- 2019 Application for Marine Science (Word)
- 2019 Application for Mathematics, Science, and Technology (Word)
- 2019 Application for Medicine and Health Sciences (Word)
- 2019 Application for Visual and Performing Arts (Word)
General information about Summer Residential Governor’s Schools-from the VA DOE website:
Summer Residential Governor’s Schools provide gifted high school juniors and seniors with intensive educational experiences in visual and performing arts; humanities; mathematics, science, and technology; or through mentorships in marine science, medicine and health sciences, or engineering.
Each Summer Residential Governor’s School focuses on one special area of interest. Students live on a college or university campus for up to four weeks each summer. During this time, students are involved in classroom and laboratory work, field studies, research, individual and group projects and performances, and seminars with noted scholars, visiting artists, and other professionals. In the three mentorships, students are selected to work side-by-side with research scientists, physicians, and a variety of other professionals. A director and a student-life staff provide supervision of students 24 hours a day, throughout the program.